Monday, January 12, 2009

Feel good soundtrack

Sometimes I don't feel good. Sometimes music helps. Here is a list of some feel good songs that I've been into lately. You'll see that I don't really listen to music of my own generation. They don't get it. I was born about 30 years too late.

“Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen
This song breaks my heart into a million tiny pieces every time I hear it. Sometimes I cry because it's so beautiful.

“Chelsea Hotel #2” by Leonard Cohen, sung by Rufus Wainwright
If in was physically mate with someone's voice, I'd pick Rufus. I think the voice is all I'd be able to get, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

“Kathy’s Song” by Simon and Garfunkel
I like this one because it makes Eugene rain seem not so bad.

“Shelter From the Storm” by Bob Dylan
This is just a nice song that perks me up.

“In Spite of Ourselves” by John Prine
A dirty little ditty that makes me giggle.

“Illegal Smile” by John Prine
I grew up listening to one John Prine album that my dad recorded on tape. In my adult years, I was visiting my parents home and went out to the garage, and my dad was listening to that tape and singing along. To a song about marijuana.

“Waltzing Matilda” by Banjo Paterson
I don't think this one needs explanation.

“No Rain” by Blind Melon
I want to dance like a bee girl to this.

“Cry Baby” by Janis Joplin
I can just feel all the soul and energy that Janis poured into this one and it reminds me how good it feels to empty all that emotion out until you've got nothing left to feel. Then you go to sleep.

“Solitary Man” by Neil Diamond
I heard this on one of the last Stargate Atlantis episodes sung by Johnny Cash, and it's been stuck in my head since then.

“And Your Bird Can Sing” by The Beatles
It can. But you don't get me.

“Paradise” by John Prine
Sometimes paradise gets hauled away and all you've got are memories of the way things were.

“Helpless” by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
s'ok

“The Man Who Sold the World” by David Bowie
Bowie wins at practically everything.

“Hold Me Now” by The Polyphonic Spree
If you ever need a pick me up on a grey day, this song delivers.

“April Come She Will” by Simon and Garfunkel
There's always next month.

No comments: