Thursday, April 16, 2009

Internet Free

I moved into my new home in mid-March. Internet was not provided in the rent, and I haven't set it up yet because $30 a month is a lot for one person when I may also have to pick up the full $700 rent next month. So I've been going to the library every few days to check my email, check up on the blogs I follow and hopefully catch a friend or two on AIM. Here's some of the ways that not having internet at home has changed my life.

I get a lot more done. I'm sure that I would have a lot of things still in boxes if I'd had internet when I was moving in. I spend the hours that I would have spent dicking around on the net each night READING.

I get to bed at a reasonable hour. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, because I usually stop reading around 11:00 and try to wake up at 7:30, which is probably too long to sleep, and it gets me in a bad habit.

I have to remember things. I can't just run to Wikipedia and look something up, or jump online and tell my friends about the sweet rainbow that I saw on St Patrick's Day. I also don't spend a lot of time brooding over blog topics like this one because I know that the money on my meter runs out in 15 minutes. So maybe I don't communicate with the world as much, but that's ok, because I'm not wasting time. Maybe I won't get internet at all.

No comments: